Founder and designer TJ Cowgill does not advertise his Actual Pain collections, but rather spreads the word about his mod sweaters and t-shirts via word of mouth.
TJ Cowgill's toned down approach to marketing stands in stark contrast to the majority of labels that rely on viral and print-based campaigns. He has instead opted to focus on his contacts as a successful musician, one who is perhaps best known for his roles in the Book of Black Earth and King Dude bands. As he is also the mastermind behind every Actual Pain piece, it may be said that the brand is solely his own, allowing buyers to get a sense for his vision and personality via the apparel.
The Actual Pain Collections Are Not Advertised
1. Word-of-mouth Marketing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing strategies to leverage word-of-mouth marketing and build strong connections with influencers and industry insiders.
2. Authentic Personal Branding - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating unique and personal brand identities that resonate with consumers and allow them to connect with the vision and personality behind the products.
3. Alternative Marketing Channels - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Exploring unconventional marketing channels outside of viral and print-based campaigns to reach niche audiences and create buzz.
1. Fashion Apparel - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Redefining marketing approaches in the fashion apparel industry by prioritizing personal connections and unconventional channels over traditional advertising.
2. Music - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrating music and musicians as brand ambassadors to promote and convey the brand's vision and identity.
3. Influencer Marketing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Collaborating with influencers and tastemakers to create authentic word-of-mouth marketing campaigns that resonate with targeted audiences.