7 Reasons Your Mom Shouldn’t Be Your Facebook Friend is a hilarious comic from the good folks at C-Section, which, as the title suggests, outlines all of the major reasons why you shouldn’t give your mom an all-access pass to your virtual persona. Among the reasons the comic provides are “She will track your every step,” “She will track your every step,” oh and have we mentioned, “She will track your every step?”
All jokes aside, having parents on Facebook is one of those gambles you can’t ever take back once she’s seen it all, even if you do hit ‘Remove Contact’ and make your security settings so intense that all she can see is the first letter of your first name.
Implications - The rise of social media has shifted the way humans interact. The way a person represents themselves online is a determinant of many things, from personal to business relationships. Parents, schools and workplaces use the information available online to make judgements about users that may either enhance or detract from the public perception.
7 Reasons Your Mom Shouldn't Be Your Facebook Friend
1. Parental Social Media Restrictions - Parents restricted from accessing their child's social media accounts could lead to more privacy and independence for young adults.
2. Online Reputation Management - Users are becoming more aware of the potential consequences of their online actions, leading to increased interest in managing their online persona.
3. Social Media Privacy Settings - Social media platforms may need to improve their privacy settings to allow for more nuanced control over who sees what content.
1. Social Media Platforms - Social media companies have an opportunity to develop more advanced privacy settings and customization options.
2. Digital Parenting Services - Services that help parents navigate the complex world of online behavior and social media use could see increased demand.
3. Online Personal Branding - The shift towards online personal branding has created opportunities for consultants and services offering reputation management and optimization.