What fashion looks are hot for Summer 2009? We took a look at the style articles creating buzz this season to find out. Check out the emerging fashion trends of Summer 2009 below, from ripped and torn jeans, to long feminine maxis.
1. Over-Accessorizing: When it comes to necklaces, the more you layer on, the better. Whether you’re just rocking a casual plaid shirt and jeans or shimmied into an LBD, the more you drape around your neck, the better.
2. Neo-Grungette: If all this color is too much for you, then release your sigh and kick back in the comfort of grunge—think of laid-back 90s fashion with a vampire-chic twist.
3. 80’s Eye Makeup: Channel your inner rockstar and welcome her to your beauty station. And don’t worry about going too bold with the electric eye shadow colors—your goal is to evoke double-takes.
4. Over-Size Glasses: Giant-rimmed sunglasses have been haute for a few years, but the return of over-sized glasses (think lab goggles) are far more about geek-chic than mystique.
BONUS: Fringe Fashion: If ever there was a time you could be admired for wearing crazy couture, this summer is it. Check out our special Trend Hunter TV episode of the craziest fashion to get yourself inspired.
5. Cut-Offs: Cut-off denim shorts are all the rage among celebs and hipsters in NYC this summer, especially when layered over black tights.
6. Eccentricity: Thanks to stars like Lady Gaga, dressing outrageously has never been so far over the edge. Can you get more sartorially creative than a Post-It Note dress?
7. Neon Fashion: Think back to the days of the Fresh Prince and go for bright colors in your fashion, from glasses to toes, and all the clothes and accessories between. (By the way, neon fashion for guys is popping this summer too.)
8. Denim: After months of black leggings, jeans are back in, and in a big, blue way. Not only were jeans featured on countless runways and in the pages of magazines, but the retro denim-on-denim look is back in full force.
9. Tattered, Torn and Ripped: The more ratty your jeans—or leggings—look, the better this season. Whether you pair them with flat gladiators or daring pumps, tattered fashion is anything but clueless.
10. Maxi Dresses: It’s been decades since dresses have been as in-style as they are this season. Summer 2009 will see plenty of gowns and frocks, from minis to maxi dresses.
11 Daring Fashions of Summer
More Stats +/-