Zoom announced that it has renamed its 'Zoom Chat' feature to 'Zoom Team Chat.' This move is intended to increase clarity around the purpose of the feature. Also accompanying the rename is a number of new functionalities being added to the application.
Zoom Team Chat is a service similar to Slack. Collaborators are able to create channels, invite certain individuals to each channel, and share media files, such as pdfs, images, and videos. Zoom added 'Team' to the name of the feature, as many users were confused between the active chatbox in a Zoom call and the Zoom Chats feature, which functions more like Slack or Whatsapp.
One clear benefit of Zoom Team Chat is its native integration with Zoom by virtue of being hosted by the same company. This means users can have text chatrooms tied to persistent video call rooms for on-the-fly collaboration where workers can enter and leave as they please. This adds a deeper level of collaboration to remote and hybrid work environments.
Image Credit: Zoom
Zoom is Rebranding its Chat System and Adding New Features
1. Virtual Collaboration Tools - The increasing demand for virtual collaboration tools like Zoom Team Chat in remote and hybrid work environments presents opportunities for the development of new features and integrations.
2. Unified Communication Platforms - The renaming and addition of new functionalities in Zoom Team Chat reflects the trend towards the creation of more unified communication platforms that offer multiple features in a single application.
3. Media Sharing Applications - The ability to share media files such as pdfs, images, and videos in Zoom Team Chat highlights the need for media sharing applications that prioritize collaboration and teamwork.
1. Video Communication Services - The video communication services industry can explore opportunities to create more integrated and feature-rich communication applications like Zoom Team Chat.
2. Collaboration Software - Collaboration software providers can continue to innovate and develop features that enable seamless virtual collaboration and communication among remote workers.
3. Media Sharing Platforms - Media sharing platforms can leverage the trend towards collaboration and teamwork to incorporate functionalities that facilitate more effective and efficient collaboration.