With rental cars scattered in parking lots throughout the city, ZipCar is a COOL company that is redefining how you rent a car. Unlike a rental car company, you phone (or use the web), choose a parking lot in the city, and schedule your car for the hour. It can be a Mini Cooper, BMW, or even a Prius. Walk up to the car, swipe your card, and it's yours... No need to pay for gas, insurance, or parking because it is all included. Wow.
The company claims that 30% of their customers have sold their own cars because ZipCar is so convenient (and SO much cheeper - especially for Yuppies). Zip Cars are located in almost a dozen cities throughout North America... will the trend continue?
Rent by the Hour - Parking, Gas & Insurance Included
1. Car-sharing - ZipCar's success in redefining car rental through hourly car-sharing presents opportunities for other companies to enter the market and provide affordable and convenient transportation options.
2. Subscription-based Services - ZipCar's inclusive model, where parking, gas, and insurance are already included in the rental fee, highlights the potential for disruptive subscription-based services in various industries, such as travel, hospitality, and leisure.
3. Urban Mobility - The widespread adoption of ZipCar's service in multiple cities signifies a growing demand for innovative urban mobility solutions, opening up avenues for technological advancements and collaborations in transportation and smart city development.
1. Car Rental - The success of ZipCar showcases the potential for disruptive innovation in the traditional car rental industry by offering more flexible and cost-effective options.
2. Transportation - The rise of car-sharing services like ZipCar presents opportunities for disruption and innovation in the transportation industry, particularly in urban areas where convenience and sustainability are key considerations.
3. Technology - ZipCar's use of an online platform and mobile apps for booking and accessing rental cars highlights the role of technology in disrupting traditional industries and creating new business models.