When Nigerian artisan Ojo Obaniyi wanted to advertise his weaving business to locals, he took a novel approach and created a wicker-covered car. To be precise, he weaved his entire Volkswagen pick-up with raffia.
The businessman, who has worked as a weaver for over 20 years, displayed his number and name on the registration plate. His out-of-the-box thinking has seemingly paid off, with international news agencies and locals flocking to take pictures. The results are stunning and showcase his extraordinary level of craftsmanship; the entire car body as well as exterior are covered in wicker from the wheel caps, seating, entire dashboard and wheel. Amazingly Ojo is still able to drive around in the car.
Obaniyi said of his work: "I wanted to prove a point that it is not only the educated elite that can make positive changes in society. We, the artisans also have talents to effect a change and make a positive impact in society."
Photo Credits: designboom
A Nigerian Businessman Advertises with a Wicker-Covered Car
1. Artistic Advertisement - The use of unconventional materials and techniques in advertising, such as wicker-covered cars, can capture attention and create a unique brand experience.
2. Showcasing Craftsmanship - Artisans and craftsmen can leverage innovative approaches to display their skills and demonstrate their high level of craftsmanship.
3. Empowering Artisans - Artisans are increasingly asserting themselves as agents of change, utilizing their talents to make a positive impact on society.
1. Advertising - The advertising industry can explore new and unconventional methods, such as wicker-covered cars, to differentiate brands and engage consumers.
2. Artisanal Crafts - The artisanal crafts industry can embrace innovative techniques and materials, like wicker, to showcase traditional craftsmanship in contemporary ways.
3. Social Impact - The social impact industry can highlight the role of artisans in effecting positive change by promoting their work and supporting their initiatives.