So much waste goes into making furniture, and designers James Shaw and Marjan van Aubel have found a way to reuse the waste by creating their Well Proven Chairs.
These coral seats are made with residual wood chips, bio-resin and water. Once all ingredients are added together, the mixture expands uncontrollably until it expands to about 600-700% of its original size. In order to create the Well Proven Chairs, the mixture is tailored to have a lower growth capacity, making it denser and stronger so it's suitable for seating. The mixture is then sloshed onto a mould where it has to be continuously pushed back up until to prevent oozing and unevenness until it sets.
The designers decided to showcase the "natural exuberance" of the material by "contrasting [it] with the controlled simplicity of the legs."
Well Proven Chairs are Made from Old Furniture
1. Eco-furniture - Designers are utilizing eco-friendly materials to create furniture pieces that will reduce waste and harmful impact on the environment, paving the way for more sustainable furniture production.
2. Upcycling - The practice of repurposing waste into furniture is gaining momentum, opening an opportunity to create unique and innovative designs that are both functional and environmentally responsible.
3. Material Development - Innovations in material science are creating new possibilities for designers to work with, allowing them to create new furniture products that push the boundaries of conventional design and manufacturing processes.
1. Furniture Manufacturing - Furniture manufacturers can embrace eco-friendly production methods and materials, allowing them to create new products that meet growing consumer demand for sustainable products and contribute to a better environment.
2. Interior Design - Interior design professionals can collaborate with eco-conscious furniture designers or manufacturers to select pieces that will add both style and sustainability to their designs, offering a competitive advantage in the growing sustainable design market.
3. Material Science - Material science researchers can innovate and develop new materials that can be used in furniture production, allowing designers and manufacturers to create products that are more environmentally friendly and sustainable.