Brian McCarty's haunting photographic series 'War Toys' uses children's toys to depict scenes of war. The contrast between the innocent play things and the violent situations they are thrust into results in chilling and thought-provoking work. The California-based photographer intends for the ongoing project to show the perspective of children in war-torn parts of the world.
In particular, War Toys focuses on the ever present artillery fire and tanks in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank. For children there, scenes of war are a part of their everyday reality. McCarty was inspired by humanitarian work occurring on the ground in these dangerous parts of the world. The shots only depict a small fraction of what affected young people go through.
War Toys is currently exhibiting at New York's Peanuts Underground Art Projects.
Brian McCarty's 'War Toys' Shows Scenes of War from a Child's View
1. Toy Photography Trend - The trend of using toys to depict artistic themes like war can disrupt traditional art forms and create new channels for creativity and self-expression.
2. Perspective-shifting Trend - The trend of using unusual perspectives, such as those of children's toys, to depict serious situations can disrupt the viewers' perceptions and increase empathy and awareness.
3. Social Commentary Trend - The trend of using art to make social commentary, such as depicting the horrors of war using children's toys, can disrupt traditional forms of activism and inspire change through creative expression.
1. Toy Industry - The toy industry can capitalize on the trend of using toys as artistic vehicles by creating more sophisticated and diverse toys that invite creative expression and experimentation.
2. Art Industry - The art industry can embrace the trend of perspective-shifting and incorporate unusual perspectives and materials into their work, disrupting traditional notions of what constitutes art.
3. Nonprofit Industry - The nonprofit industry can utilize the trend of social commentary and collaborate with artists to create powerful visual messages that inspire change and raise awareness about important issues.