Cord UI is a MIT project that turns an ordinary cord into an extraordinarily versatile power cord. As cordless and wireless technologies gain more traction, this project aims to make the cable more valuable to users.
Some of the early prototypes in this project involve computer cables that are equipped with dimmer switches and sleep controls that are activated by touch. Rather than pressing a button on a laptop or the switch on a light, the cord can simply be squeezed in order to trigger some sort of action. Another prototype include a hard drive cable, which automatically takes care of safe device ejection in order to remedy an action that many people forget to do. Instead of being just a means to transport power or data, Cord UI shows that the common cord is capable of so much more.
This Versatile Power Cord Doubles as a Remote Control
1. Cord UI - This MIT project turns an ordinary cord into a versatile power cord with touch-activated controls and additional functionalities.
2. Wireless Technologies - As cordless and wireless technologies gain traction, there is an opportunity to enhance the value and functionality of cables and cords.
3. Disruptive Innovation - Cord UI demonstrates the potential for cords to be more than just power and data transport, presenting opportunities for innovative product design and user experiences.
1. Technology - The technology industry can explore the integration of touch-activated controls and additional functionalities into power cords and cables.
2. Consumer Electronics - The consumer electronics industry can benefit from incorporating Cord UI's innovative power cord designs into their products.
3. Home Automation - The home automation industry can leverage cord UI technologies to enhance user experiences by allowing touch-activated controls for various household devices and appliances.