It's interesting to consider the Tufted Bench and the notion of material masquerading. Designers Derek McLeod and Joy Charbonneau have created a timber seating object that seems to express itself as a cushion-topped perch.
Walnut wood was manipulated with CNC milling techniques to construct the components for this product. The four legs are fairly simple tapering posts but the top will certainly pique your interest. Three long wooden beams are laminated side-by-side to make the sitting surface; it's these that define the edges of the tufted square texturing. The lumber is carved and sanded into soft pillow-like protrusions to communicate comfort to the potential user. Combined with the wood grain pattern, the Tufted Bench is divinely detailed.
Tufted Bench Has a Billowing Surface Despite its Stiff Materiality
1. Material Masquerading - Exploring the concept of materials imitating other materials to create unexpected designs.
2. CNC Milling Techniques - Utilizing computer numerical control technology to manipulate wood and create intricate designs.
3. Divinely Detailed Furniture - Creating furniture pieces with intricate details and patterns to enhance visual appeal.
1. Furniture Manufacturing - Opportunity for furniture manufacturers to incorporate material imitating techniques to innovate their designs.
2. Woodworking - Potential for woodworking industry to embrace CNC milling techniques for creating unique and intricate wooden products.
3. Interior Design - Demand for divinely detailed furniture in interior design industry, creating opportunities for designers and retailers.