Canadian design company, Part & Whole, designed the Total modular sofa system to increase furniture longevity. This system follows a circular design philosophy that focuses on flexibility, service, and repair.
The Total sofa system adopts circular economic principles. It consists of upholstered modules that can be configured in various adaptations according to changing needs. To help reduce furniture waste, every component in this couch system is removable, repairable, and replaceable. Therefore, the product itself can continuously evolve over the course of its lifespan.
Four seating types can be made from the Total system. Consumers can opt for a standalone chair, a straight-back sofa, or two larger corner sofas. Available in four woolen upholstery colors, the modules are linked together via exposed slender steel structures.
Image Credit: Dezeen
Part & Whole Designed the Total Modular Sofa for Versatile Seating Space
1. Circular Sofa Systems - The trend of creating modular sofas that follow a circular design philosophy and are repairable, replaceable, and flexible for increasing furniture longevity.
2. Flexible and Modular Furniture - The trend of designing furniture that can be reconfigured in various adaptations according to changing needs, thus reducing furniture waste.
3. Sustainable Upholstery - The trend of using sustainable materials for furniture upholstery to increase lifespan and reduce waste, while still providing different color options.
1. Furniture Manufacturing - Furniture manufacturing companies can disrupt the industry by adopting circular economic principles and incorporating modularity, repairability, and sustainability into their designs.
2. Interior Design - Interior design firms can capitalize on the demand for flexible and modular furniture by incorporating circular sofa systems and other sustainable furniture options into their projects.
3. Sustainability Consulting - There is an opportunity for sustainability consulting firms to advise companies and consumers on the benefits and implementation of circular design principles and sustainable upholstery in furniture and other products.