I simply can't get enough of these cartoon reinventions, and deviantART user Tolagunestro is whetting my appetite with these quirky illustrations.
Tolagunestro, whose real name is Lucas de Alcantara, has a very child-centric drawing style, similar to the works of Charles Schultz and other Sunday morning comic strip artists. Tolagunestro manages to find a way to personalize each character he's reinventing: all of his creations are whimsical, but highly recognizable. Seen here are Nintendo's Mario as a snake charmer, Patrick from SpongeBob SquarePants, Batman and Robin as schoolchildren, Charlie Brown, Princess Leia and Chewie of Star Wars, and steampunk versions of Mickey Mouse and Garfield.
My favorite illustration though has got to be Tolagunestro's version of Popeye, who has been relegated to a tin can of spinach.
Tolagunestro Reinvents Favorite Nostalgic Icons With Whimsy
1. Cartoon Character Reinvention - The trend of reinventing beloved childhood characters into new, quirky versions with personalized twists creates opportunities for disruptive innovation in toy design and animation.
2. Childlike Drawing Style - The trend of using a childlike drawing style in artwork creates opportunities for disruptive innovation in children's book illustration and graphic design.
3. Steampunk Revival - The trend of incorporating steampunk elements into classic characters, like Mickey Mouse and Garfield, creates opportunities for disruptive innovation in fashion design and merchandise production.
1. Toy Design - Toy designers can capitalize on the trend of reinventing beloved childhood characters by creating new, quirky versions with personalized twists that resonate with today's kids.
2. Animation - Animation studios can capitalize on the trend of reinventing beloved childhood characters by creating new, quirky versions with personalized twists that appeal to today's audiences.
3. Merchandise Production - Merchandise producers can capitalize on the trend of incorporating steampunk elements into classic characters by creating new, unique products that appeal to fans of both the classic characters and the steampunk aesthetic.