A San Francisco-based start-up has created the CycleAT tire pressure monitoring system. This device is specially designed to continuously monitor air pressure in both bicycle and motorbike tires and relaying that information to the rider's smartphone in real time. This kind of technology is fairly common in cars but is relatively new in two-wheelers.
The CycleAT tire pressure monitoring system includes a pair of sensor units, one for each wheel. These units house sensors that measure air pressure as well as temperature, wheel rotation and wheel orientation. They are fitted with lithium-ion batteries that offer up to 100 hours of use on a full charge.
Data from the sensors is relayed via Bluetooth Low Energy to an app on the user's smartphone. This allows riders to check air pressure and temperature as well as speed and wheel alignment.
The Cycle AT Tire Pressure Monitoring System is Phone-Connected
1. Bluetooth-connected Tire Monitors - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Expand the use of tire pressure monitoring systems to other industries such as electric scooters or wheelchairs.
2. Real-time Tire Monitoring - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop advanced analytics and machine learning algorithms to detect patterns and predict tire failures based on real-time data.
3. Smartphone-connected Sensors - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate the tire pressure monitoring system with other smartphone-connected devices, such as fitness trackers or navigation systems.
1. Bicycle and Motorbike Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporate tire pressure monitoring systems as a standard feature in all bicycles and motorbikes.
2. Automotive Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop advanced tire pressure monitoring systems for cars that can automatically adjust tire pressure for optimal fuel efficiency and performance.
3. Sports and Fitness Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create tire pressure monitoring systems for sports equipment, such as basketballs or soccer balls, to optimize performance and prevent injuries.