The work of Sydney Licht, an artist based in New York City, is full of bold blocks of colors and strong palpable textures. Yet almost entirely abstract, she often bases her paintings on still life scenes. In this way, she re-imagines the medium so as to bring refreshing sense of creativity and imagination to it. While bloggers highlight still life photography series more and more, Sydney Licht shows her audience that surreality can come in many forms.
Interestingly, Sydney Licht goes beyond that superficial drive to focus on even more important issues through her art. Sydney Licht writes, "I am interested in updating the conventions of still life by picturing items that reflect the way we currently live. Remnants of our consumer culture have found their way into my work."
Artist Sydney Licht Re-Imagines Still Life Artworks
1. Abstract Still Life Art - Opportunity to disrupt traditional still life art by introducing abstract interpretations of everyday objects.
2. Texture-based Art - Opportunity to innovate art by incorporating tangible textures and patterns.
3. Critiquing Consumer Culture - Opportunity to disrupt traditional still life art by using it as a medium to critique consumer culture and contemporary society.
1. Art - Opportunity for artists to experiment with unconventional styles and mediums.
2. Photography - Opportunity for photographers to incorporate texture and abstract interpretations into their still life photography.
3. Consumerism - Opportunity for businesses and marketers to examine and critique their impact on society through the lens of art.