At only 19 years of age, Florida-born Alex Stoddard is a teen photographer who focuses on infusing the human form with the natural surroundings in his shoots, rendering a surreal presence noticeable among his photography.
His style of photography is often whimsical and his latest installation is no different, littered by sharply surreal portraits that invite the audience to feel and engage in the photographs, mentally and physically. We see the portraits of frail individuals standing on rocks, engulfed in smoke, a man drenched in blood, a man writhing on a beach etc.
On being asked on how much planning and pre-production goes into making a single photograph on photography site Seamless, Stoddard says, “It is dependent on the individual photograph, really. Sometimes I’ll do a ton of research and scouting, collecting very particular elements – location, model, clothing, props. In cases such as that, I can plan for months on end. Other times, I can think of an idea and shoot it in the very same day.”
Stoddard’s Human Portraits are Layered With Ominously Dystopic U
1. Surreal Portrait Photography - The trend of creating surreal portraits that incorporate natural surroundings offers an opportunity for photographers to push the boundaries of artistic expression.
2. Whimsical Storytelling - The trend of using whimsical elements in photography allows for unique storytelling opportunities, enticing viewers to mentally and emotionally engage with the images.
3. Spontaneous Creative Process - The trend of shooting ideas spontaneously opens up possibilities for photographers to capture unexpected moments and emotions without extensive planning.
1. Photography - The photography industry can embrace and capitalize on the trend of surreal portrait photography, offering unique experiences and products to their clients.
2. Art - The art industry can explore the trend of using whimsical storytelling in various mediums, sparking imagination and attracting a diverse range of art enthusiasts.
3. Fashion - The fashion industry can collaborate with photographers who embrace spontaneous creative processes to capture unconventional and striking visuals for their campaigns and collections.