Without refrigeration, it can be a challenge to store perishable items and medicines but Youmma is introducing a solution in the form of a solar fridge that can be used even before an area becomes included in expanded electricity grids. The compact fridge is efficient enough to run on just a single solar panel, and it works alongside a pay-as-you-go system to support families with limited budgets.
Beyond offering obvious benefits, a fridge also has the potential to support people in other ways. According to André Morriesen, product head at Youmma, gender equality is also created, as women who ordinarily spend hours getting food from markets and preparing it suddenly have the option to use their time differently.
Image Credit: Youmma
Youmma's Compact Fridge Runs on a Single Solar Panel
1. Pay-as-you-go Energy Systems - Disruptive innovation opportunity for companies to create more accessible pay-as-you-go energy systems for households in areas without grid access.
2. Solar-powered Appliances - Disruptive innovation opportunity for manufacturers to develop solar-powered appliances and electronics to reduce energy costs and improve portability.
3. Sustainability in Emerging Markets - Disruptive innovation opportunity for companies to address sustainability challenges in emerging markets, such as lack of access to electricity and refrigeration.
1. Renewable Energy - Disruptive innovation opportunity for renewable energy companies to develop innovative solar-powered solutions for households and small businesses in off-grid areas.
2. Appliances and Electronics - Disruptive innovation opportunity for electronics and appliance manufacturers to create more energy-efficient and sustainable products for households and businesses.
3. Food and Beverage - Disruptive innovation opportunity for food and beverage companies to leverage solar-powered refrigeration technology to expand distribution networks and improve access to fresh food in remote, off-grid areas.