Sir Ian Botham is a legend to the English for leading a heroic comeback during a cricket match in 1981, and now the cricket bat he used to engineer the charge could fetch as much as $2,500 at an auction next month.
Following a loss and a draw to start the 1981 Headingely Ashes (an annual competition between the English and Australian cricket teams), Ian Botham resigned as captain of the English. A day later, with Australia leading the series 1-0 and England down 90 runs and facing 500-1 odds, Ian Botham stepped to the wicket and led a comeback that produced a remarkable 149 runs. Wisden, considered the "cricketer's Bible," referred to Botham's performance as "some of the most outrageous hitting at this level." The at bat changed the momentum of the series and led England to an improbable victory.
After the series, Ian Botham became a revered figure in England, earning his knighthood in 2007.
The cricket bat used in the comeback is now up for auction through sports auctioneers Bonham and is expected to garner between $2,000 and $2,500 when it goes up for auction on June 1. The gallery features a picture of the bat and other memorabilia at the auction.
Cricket Bat Signed by Sir Ian Botham Could Fetch a Princely Sum
1. Sports Memorabilia Auctions - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore digital platforms for online sports memorabilia auctions to reach a wider audience.
2. Iconic Athlete Collectibles - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop a marketplace for trading and investing in collectibles signed by iconic athletes.
3. Nostalgia-driven Purchases - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create a platform that enables fans to buy nostalgic sports items to connect with their favorite sports moments.
1. Sports Auctions - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Introduce blockchain technology to ensure transparency and secure transactions in the sports auction industry.
2. E-commerce - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Implement virtual reality technology to enhance the online shopping experience for sports memorabilia.
3. Sports Marketing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Utilize augmented reality technology to create immersive marketing campaigns around iconic sports memorabilia.