Principle Six (P6) is an organization that emphasizes small farmers and locally grown products. More specifically, its three principles -- perhaps obvious -- are cooperative, small and local. The overall goal, however is, according to the website "increasing market access for small farmers, building co-operative supply chains and, ultimately, changing our food system."
At the moment, some of the members of Principle Six include Davis Food Co-op, Bloomingfoods Market and Deli, and Eastside Food Co-op. The organization as a whole was founded in 2008 by Equal Exchange, a worker-owned fair trade organization that itself has been around for over 25 years. Aaron Reser is the national coordinator and the Dave Boyle is the co-operative business consultant.
Principle Six website
P6 on Twitter
Principle Six Emphasizes Farmers and Locally Grown Products
1. Increasing Market Access for Small Farmers - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing technology platforms that connect small farmers directly with consumers, bypassing traditional distribution channels.
2. Building Co-operative Supply Chains - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating blockchain-based systems for transparent and efficient supply chain management in co-operative networks.
3. Changing the Food System - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Leveraging data analytics and artificial intelligence to optimize the entire food production and distribution process, reducing waste and improving sustainability.
1. Agtech - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing advanced agricultural technologies such as precision agriculture, indoor farming, and vertical farming to support small farmers and enhance local food production.
2. Food Delivery Services - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating food delivery platforms that prioritize local and small-scale farmers, offering consumers a convenient way to access fresh and locally grown products.
3. Sustainable Packaging - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Designing eco-friendly packaging solutions for locally grown products, reducing plastic waste and promoting sustainable consumption.