Mumbai-based fashion photographer Prasad Naik's recent series 'Mickey Mouse' is an unabashed celebration of strange couture and stark settings.
In the first photograph of the series, the viewer finds a model dressed in a long, thin black dress that stops just short of the ankles. Towards the right shoulder of the dress (from the viewer's perspective) is a collection of variously sized, white hearts that pop out like petals blossoming from a flower. The model also wears a large hat in the fashion of a 1920s flapper, though decidedly more eccentric, almost reminiscent of Mini or Mickey Mouse's ears.
Each photograph is set in a gray, concrete room that is devoid of anything save a few stains and the stark shadows created by Prasad Naik's expert use of lighting.
The Prasad Naik 'Mickey Mouse' Series is Off-Putting Yet Elegant
1. Strange Couture - Opportunity for the fashion industry to explore avant-garde designs and challenge traditional fashion norms.
2. Off-putting Elegance - Opportunity for the art industry to explore the beauty in unconventional and eerie subject matter, blurring the lines between beauty and grotesque.
3. Stark Settings - Opportunity for the photography industry to explore the use of negative space and minimalist environments, creating impactful visuals with simple settings.
1. Fashion - Exploration of unconventional designs and avant-garde fashion, pushing the boundaries of what is considered 'fashionable.'
2. Art - Exploration of unconventional subject matter, finding the beauty in unusual and eerie visuals that challenge preconceived notions of 'beauty.'
3. Photography - Exploration of minimalist environments and expert use of lighting to create impactful visuals with simple settings.