For the security of full cups and bowls, a very flat and horizontal surface is the most effective sort of table top. The Picnic Table by Federico Churba incorporates this common feature; however, the design was rendered more intriguing with a formal juxtaposition below.
The wooden top is supported by two metal components that form two sets of joined legs. These connect to the timber surface at four points each, after branching out into pairs halfway up the posts. This feature alone adds some detail to the contemporary dining table, but the designer wished to push the conventional boundaries a touch further. The substructure of the Picnic Table by Federico Churba was sculpted so that it appears to be bending and buckling at some angles, contrasting with its stiff top.
The Picnic Table's Crooked Frame Contrasts with its Stiff Tabletop
1. Sculptural Furniture - Exploring unconventional shapes and designs that challenge traditional furniture forms.
2. Hybrid Materials - Incorporating contrasting materials in furniture design to create a unique aesthetic and experience.
3. Functional Art - Designing furniture that not only serves a functional purpose but also makes a statement as a piece of art.
1. Furniture Design - Create furniture using asymmetrical forms that would stand out from the traditional furniture design.
2. Interior Design - Incorporate sculptural furniture as an aesthetic statement piece for interior spaces.
3. Outdoor Recreation - Design outdoor furniture with hybrid materials that showcase a unique design and practical function.