According to Wikipedia "Peer-to-peer renting services and Platforms are often referred to as Ebay for rentals, or Craigslist for rentals, as these latter two services are the most famous Consumer-to-consumer marketplaces and classifieds platforms."
The fast development of this market is due to a combination of the following trends:
1. Networking infrastructure and high-bandwidth penetration reaching a level allowing Social Networks and Consumer-to-consumer marketplaces,
2. Limited storage space in dense urban environment preventing consumers to keep all the goods they occasionally use,
3. Increasing environmental concerns of consumers leading towards limitations of waste of resources and overconsumption,
4. Evolution of consuming behaviors from owners to users.
Many Web 2.0 sites are emerging to cater for this emerging need. These include Rentoid.com and Zilok.com
1. P2P Renting - The growth of peer-to-peer renting services is driven by networking infrastructure, limited storage space, environmental concerns, and evolving consumption habits.
2. Sharing Economy - The sharing economy is disrupting traditional consumption models by leveraging technology and peer-to-peer networks to promote the efficient and sustainable use of resources.
3. Collaborative Consumption - Collaborative consumption is enabling consumers to access and share goods and services through online platforms and peer-to-peer networks, creating new business models and value streams.
1. Peer-to-peer Marketplaces - The growth of P2P renting is creating opportunities for online marketplaces like Rentoid and Zilok to connect people who want to rent or borrow items.
2. Transportation - P2P car sharing and rental platforms like Getaround and Turo are disrupting the traditional car rental industry and enabling more efficient use of vehicles.
3. Real Estate - The growing popularity of P2P home sharing platforms like Airbnb and HomeAway is disrupting the traditional hotel and vacation rental industry.