During any other year, Chinese smartphone brand OnePlus would have held an in-person consumer event with a keynote to launch the new OnePlus 8T+ 5G device but a different experience was needed for the phone's 2020 launch. While many products have been successfully launched with digital-only formats this year, T-Mobile and OnePlus teamed up to create a "phygital" scavenger hunt and challenge fans to find real-life pop-up stores.
For the One Plus Go Farther scavenger hunt, three pop-ups were hidden in remote places across the United States and these locations were strategically selected to show off the range of T-Mobile’s 5G coverage. The part digital and part in-person scavenger hunt helped to introduce OnePlus to US audiences, especially as it does not have a physical retail presence of its own in the country.
Image Credit: OnePlus
The One Plus Go Farther Hunt Sparked Interest in the OnePlus 8T+ 5G Device
1. Phygital Events - Creating new and innovative ways to launch products in a time where in-person events have become challenging presents opportunities for businesses to explore the phygital event model.
2. Pop-up Marketing - The success of the OnePlus Go Farther scavenger hunt shows that pop-up marketing campaigns can drive engagement while also promoting brand awareness and sales.
3. Location-based Experiences - Creating engaging and interactive experiences for users based on their location can be a key disruptor for businesses looking to make a physical impact.
1. Wireless and Mobile Technology - Wireless and mobile technology companies can take advantage of location-based experiences by creating unique encounters that showcase the strengths of their networks.
2. Consumer Electronics - Consumers want unique and engaging experiences with their products, opening the door for consumer electronics companies to use pop-up marketing campaigns to increase awareness and drive sales.
3. Event Planning - The rise of phygital events presents a new challenge and opportunity for event planning companies to create immersive and memorable experiences that blend the digital and physical worlds.