The latest North Face coat borrows its appearance from the iconic Dolomite sleeping bag. The outerwear piece boasts a dual-colored exterior and ample amount of storage space. The hardware — from the zippers and buttons to the pull tabs and the pockets, provides sleek yet functional detailing for the North Face coat. In addition, the layer is completely packable into a bag.
This particular piece of outerwear is yet another collaborative effort between the adventure-forward company and Junya Watanabe. It is evident that the designer has been heavily interested in the dynamics of utility-forward silhouettes. This can be observed from his ongoing collaboration with The North Face, as well as his militant-style runway presentation of the Spring/Summer 2019 collection.
This North Face Coat is Done in Collaboration with Junya Watanabe
1. Sleeping Bag-inspired Outerwear - There is an opportunity for outdoor apparel companies to collaborate with designers to create functional and stylish outerwear pieces inspired by other everyday objects.
2. Functional Detailing - There is potential for innovation in the design of a garment's small details, such as zippers and buttons, to enhance both style and functionality.
3. Packable Fashion - Fashion brands can explore the potential for packing garments into small bags, making fashion more convenient and portable for consumers.
1. Outdoor Apparel - Collaborations between outdoor apparel brands and fashion designers can lead to innovative and functional pieces that appeal to both fashion and adventure enthusiasts.
2. Fashion Design - Innovations in functional detailing and packable fashion can inspire fashion designers to create more versatile and functional pieces that prioritize convenience and style.
3. Accessories - The idea of packing clothes into small bags can also be applied to accessories such as purses and backpacks, creating convenient and portable options for consumers on-the-go.