Nelligan the Dragon is a stunning art installation made out of 40,000 golden buttons. Strung from the ceiling on 4,000 fluorocarbon lines, each button comes together to take on the magnificent form of the legendary creature. Strikingly serpentine, the buttons may give it a surreal, ephemeral aesthetic, but it almost looks as though Nelligan the Dragon is on the verge of rearing its head and whipping out its tail.
Created by Robin Protz, an artist based in Avon, Connecticut, Nelligan the Dragon is currently on display at the Amway Grand Plaza. Taking over three years to create, Protz writes, "Being a legendary creature that has major spiritual significance in almost every culture worldwide, Nelligan is representing the primal forces of nature, religion and the universe." The sculpture was named after a schoolmate who died of leukemia.
Nelligan the Dragon by Robin Protz is Made out of 40,000 Buttons
1. Button Art - The trend of creating large-scale art installations using buttons as the primary material provides innovative opportunities for artists to explore new textures and shapes.
2. Fluorocarbon Lines - The trend of using fluorocarbon lines to suspend art installations creates lightweight and modular structures that are easy to install and transport, allowing for greater creativity and flexibility in art displays.
3. Mythical Creatures - The trend of recreating mythical creatures in large-scale art installations provides opportunities for artists to explore fantastical beasts and creatures, inspiring imagination and awe in their audiences.
1. Art Industry - The art industry could benefit from the use of unusual materials and innovative technologies to create captivating and dynamic art installations that draw in a broader audience.
2. Event Industry - The event industry could benefit from incorporating large-scale art installations as part of their events, creating immersive experiences for attendees and unique branding opportunities for companies.
3. Fashion Industry - The fashion industry could benefit from incorporating button art in their designs, creating unique textures and styles that stand out in a crowded market.