Oooo...There's something cringe-inducing about having your appendix removed through your vagina. Uh... What happens if your a guy? In a bid to do away with the scarring, pain and the long recoveries surgeons are using a technique called "natural orifice" surgery.
In a surgical first, doctors at the University of California, San Diego, removed the appendix of a 24 year-old patient through her vagina. Through a small incision in the wall of the patient's vagina, they passed surgical tools and a small camera removing the appendix, through the same incision. A small cut was also made in the bottom of the patient's bellybutton to insert a camera to help guide surgery. I think I'd rather have the scar thank you very much.
"Natural Orifice" Surgery Through Vagina
1. Natural Orifice Surgery - The trend of using natural orifices for surgery could disrupt traditional surgical techniques and lead to less invasive procedures.
2. Single Incision Surgery - The trend of using a single incision for surgery could reduce scarring, pain, and recovery time, leading to a more patient-friendly experience.
3. Surgical Robotics - The trend of using surgical robots to perform procedures could improve precision and accuracy, leading to better outcomes for patients.
1. Healthcare - The healthcare industry can adopt natural orifice surgery, single incision surgery, and surgical robotics to improve patient outcomes and reduce costs.
2. Medical Devices - The medical device industry can create innovative tools and devices to facilitate natural orifice surgery, single incision surgery, and surgical robotics.
3. Surgical Education - The surgical education industry can train surgeons in the use of natural orifice surgery, single incision surgery, and surgical robotics to improve patient care and safety.