Mutual aid networks are becoming more common as the COVID-19 pandemic increases the number of people who are experiencing food insecurity. In the UK, this is being addressed by COVID-19 Mutual Aid which is a group of volunteers that are establishing ways to support the organizing of local community groups who are looking to help each other throughout the crisis. The mutual aid network does this by providing resources and connecting people to their nearest local group. On its website, the organization has also created a map which would certainly be beneficial to visualization.
According to COVID-19 Mutual Aid UK's website, "the basic idea is to coordinate care efforts for people who are self-isolating, especially if they are part of a more at-risk demographic including the elderly, disabled and people with other pre-existing health issues.
Image Credit: COVID-19 Mutual Aid UK
Covid-19 Mutualaid UK Supports Those in NeedThrough Local Organizing
1. Mutual Aid Networks - Opportunity for the development of mutual aid networks to support local community groups during COVID-19 crisis.
2. Food Insecurity - Growth in initiatives addressing food insecurity as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Local Community Organizing - Increased focus on organizing local community groups to provide support and care during times of crisis.
1. Non-profit - Disruptive innovation opportunities for non-profit organizations to establish and support mutual aid networks.
2. Technology - Technological solutions to connect volunteers with local community groups and facilitate resource sharing.
3. Healthcare - Integration of healthcare services with mutual aid networks to provide targeted support for at-risk demographics.