While most up-and-coming online media websites try to compete with Facebook, the recently launched Microsoft Socl social network is attempting to do something different.
The network is geared toward learning and sharing new discoveries with others rather than simply focusing on the socializing aspect of other media websites. Launched by FUSE Labs, a division within Microsoft, the online community provides a open sharing forum for discussing academic content and creating new ways of integrating social media with learning and everyday life.
With an influx of social media based programs cropping up in post-secondary institutions, the creators of this learning-based network have designed the website to function somewhat like an online classroom -- providing an online community where students can collaborate on projects and find new ideas.
While video and photo sharing are still a large component of the design, users are also encouraged to code and create their own elements to personalize their online experience.
Microsoft Socl is Focused on Learning
1. Learning-based Social Networks - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop a social network focused on educational content and collaboration, catering specifically to students and their learning needs.
2. Integration of Social Media and Learning - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create platforms that seamlessly combine social media features with educational content, enabling students to share knowledge and discoveries.
3. Personalized Online Learning Environments - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Build online platforms that allow students to customize their learning experiences through coding and creating their own elements.
1. Educational Technology - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop tools and platforms that enhance the learning experience and facilitate collaboration among students in online environments.
2. Social Networking - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create social networking platforms that go beyond socializing, focusing on knowledge sharing, academic discussions, and project collaboration.
3. Online Learning - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Build online learning platforms that prioritize personalized experiences and integration of social media, fostering engagement and creativity.