The Mercedes-Benz Concept A Sedan has just debuted at the 2017 Shanghai Auto Show. The compact four-door could very well end up being the cheapest sedan Mercedes sells if it goes into production. The German automaker recently topped arch rival BMW in worldwide sales and is rapidly trying to fill every hole in its lineup in order to keep the good times rolling. There was no word from Mercedes on what would power the Concept A Sedan. A small four-cylinder engine (or tinier depending on the market) seems likely.
The Mercedes-Benz Concept A Sedan is also a preview of the company's new design language. Out are the excessive lines and creases. Those have been replaced by softer curves that give the sedan a more free-flowing look. If the Mercedes-Benz Concept A Sedan goes into production don't expect to see it sold stateside as buyers in the United States have begun to shun sedans (especially smalls sedans) in favor of crossovers.
The Mercedes-Benz Concept A Sedan Previews a New Design Language
1. Compact Luxury Cars - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Design and develop compact luxury cars with a more free-flowing look.
2. New Design Language - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create a new design language for luxury cars that replaces excessive lines and creases with softer curves.
3. Shift From Sedans to Crossovers - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Capitalize on the shift in consumer preferences by focusing on developing and marketing crossovers instead of sedans.
1. Automotive - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Innovate in the automotive industry by producing compact luxury cars that cater to changing consumer preferences.
2. Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Apply the new design language showcased by the Mercedes-Benz Concept A Sedan to various industries, including architecture and fashion.
3. Marketing and Sales - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Adapt marketing and sales strategies to target the growing preference for crossovers over sedans in the automotive industry.