Kanye West, Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga are just some of the icons referenced when creating this set of My Little Pony Dolls by Mari Kasurinen.
The Finnish artist recreates the popular 90s toy and infuses each of her pieces with a touch of drama. Whether referencing Kanye's jeweled face mask by Maison Martin Margiela or recreating Lady Gaga's infamous meat ensemble, the artist incorporates humor into her unique creations.
"Introduced by Hasbro way back in 1981, My Little Pony toys were distinctively girly and featured pretty pastel coloring and decorative rainbow and star embellishments." Mari Kasurinen's customized versions oppose this traditional notion and pay homage to some of our generation's greatest pop culture icons including Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld and legendary rock band The Beatles.
Mari Kasurinen's My Little Pony Dolls Mimic Music and Film Icons
1. Customized Pop Culture Toys - The trend of customizing pop culture toys like My Little Pony dolls offers opportunities for artists to create unique and playful representations of iconic figures.
2. Nostalgic Toy Reproductions - Reproductions of popular 90s toys like My Little Pony provide an opportunity to tap into consumers' nostalgia while adding a contemporary twist.
3. Humorous Remix of Iconic Figures - Infusing humor into recreations of music and film icons using My Little Pony dolls allows for disruptive innovation in the toy and art industries, appealing to fans and collectors alike.
1. Art Collectibles - The art collectibles industry can capitalize on the trend of customized pop culture toys, offering unique and limited edition figures for collectors to add to their collections.
2. Toy Manufacturing - Toy manufacturers can explore the market for nostalgic reproductions of popular 90s toys like My Little Pony, attracting both adult collectors and new generations of children.
3. Pop Culture Merchandise - The pop culture merchandise industry can embrace the humorous remix of iconic figures using My Little Pony dolls, providing fans with a fun and unique way to express their fandom.