A manspreading chair has been designed by Laila Laurel — a graduate from Brighton University, and it tackles an issue that often goes under the radar.
The concept is intended to offer "a physical representation" of an everyday occurrence. Manspreading can be witnessed in an abundance of public places, typically on the subway or on the bus. It is identified as "the practice of people, typically men, [who] sit [...] with their legs wide apart."
Laila Laurel's manspreading chair is a clever response to this. The silhouette of the anti-sexist furniture is made out of cherry wood and sycamore. The designer creates two different models of the seating and both mirror each other. While one is intended for the "woman," the other is geared toward the "man."
The Manspreading Chair by Laila Laurel Offers Subtle Commentary
1. Anti-sexist Furniture - Designing furniture that challenges gender norms and fights against sexist behaviors and attitudes.
2. Social Commentary Designs - Creating designs that make a statement and spark discussion about social issues.
3. Alternative Seating Solutions - Developing seating options that encourage more considerate, mindful behavior in public spaces.
1. Furniture Design - Designing and manufacturing innovative, socially conscious furniture solutions.
2. Art and Design - Creating visually striking works that address and comment on social issues.
3. Public Transportation - Encouraging more respectful, considerate behavior on public transportation through innovative design solutions.