Contrary to the futuristic direction that many electronics manufacturers are taking, the makers of this lens speaker have opted to produce a style that's much more organic. Looking to time-honored string instruments for inspiration, SaeJoung Kou crafted the SoundBarrel from timber, giving it a natural capacity to deliver great acoustics––despite its compact size.
But modern portable speakers and classical guitars weren't the only objects to influence the SoundBarrel's design. This looks like a lens speaker, dreamed up based on the mechanics of a camera lens' aperture. A group of flat wood fins come together and rotate away from each other to form small to large openings though which sound waves can escape. The result is a tactile and analog device with great functionality and a wonderful look that encourages engaging interaction.
The SoundBarrel Exercises the Acoustic Properties of String Instruments
1. Organic Electronics - Opportunities for creating electronic devices with a more natural and organic aesthetic, like the SoundBarrel lens speaker.
2. Inspirations From Traditional Instruments - Exploring the acoustic properties and design elements of time-honored string instruments for innovative products like the SoundBarrel lens speaker.
3. Mechanical Inspired Designs - Applying mechanical concepts, such as the camera lens' aperture, to create unique and engaging devices like the SoundBarrel lens speaker.
1. Electronics Manufacturing - Manufacturing companies focused on producing electronic devices with a more eco-friendly and organic design, like the SoundBarrel lens speaker.
2. Acoustic Engineering - Industries that specialize in creating products with excellent acoustics, such as portable speakers and musical instruments, can benefit from incorporating innovative designs like the SoundBarrel lens speaker.
3. Photography Equipment - Manufacturers of camera equipment can explore new product lines inspired by mechanical concepts, such as the lens aperture, like the SoundBarrel lens speaker.