These relief-style photographs by Katinka Merchan depict a female who appears to be addicted to prescription medication. This pill-popper is so ready for her next fix that the giant tabs protrude from her lips like crooked teeth. It's a beautiful series, if a bit bizarre.
Katinka Merchan's portfolio is chock-full with features that play on drugs, mental illness and addiction. After you see more of these relief-style photos, check out her portfolio on the left for more.
Katinka Merchan Depicts a Prescription Medication Addict
1. Mental Health Awareness - The depiction of addiction and mental health in art and media can prompt awareness and advocacy efforts.
2. Controversial Art - Challenging societal norms and conventions through provocative artwork can create buzz and spark important conversations.
3. Alternative Healing Methods - Conversations surrounding addiction can inspire innovation in the development of new treatments and therapies.
1. Pharmaceuticals - Addressing addiction and the over-reliance on medication can lead to opportunities for pharmaceutical companies to develop alternative options.
2. Art and Entertainment - Controversial and thought-provoking art has the power to influence popular culture and shape societal conversations.
3. Mental Health Services - Increased mental health awareness can lead to the development of new and innovative services and treatments.