Jiyeon Kim, a Korean painter, took to Tinder to capture portraits of strangers in an abstract fashion.
As people tend to use pictures that they feel are able to convey something positive about themselves on the dating app, it functioned as the perfect place to retrieve portraits that would speak to their internal motivations. For the most part, Jiyeon Kim's portraits seem to reveal subjects that are bored or unsatisfied with their current states, which is perhaps why they're seeking out affection through the ultra-convenient dating app.
A selection of the portraits show men peacocking in a sense as well, with parts of their bodies left exposed to make their intentions on the app more clear, as well as their self-perception.
Jiyeon Kim Created Contemporary Renditions of Tinder Pictures
1. Abstract Dating App Portraits - Opportunity to create unique and unconventional artwork by capturing people's online dating personas in an abstract fashion.
2. Self-presentation on Dating Apps - Potential to explore the motivations behind people's choices in presenting themselves online and create psychological analyses or tools to enhance online dating experiences.
3. Digital Identity and Seeking Affection - Insight into the relationship between digital identity and emotional needs, offering opportunities for developing technologies that cater to individuals seeking affection and connection online.
1. Art - Using dating app-inspired portraits as a trend, artists can leverage this concept to create unique and thought-provoking artwork that resonates with contemporary society.
2. Online Dating - By understanding the motivations and self-presentation strategies on dating apps, the online dating industry can develop more effective matching algorithms or user interfaces to improve user experiences and increase success rates.
3. Psychology - Psychologists can analyze the underlying motivations and emotional needs of individuals seeking affection through dating apps, leading to the development of personalized counseling or therapy services tailored to digital relationships.