Google announced the availability of its Historical Street View feature on mobile devices. The feature was previously only available on desktop computers. However, the majority of Google Maps users connect to the service through mobile devices for the purpose of navigation and exploration. The Historical Street View feature allows Google Maps users to view previous scans of a location to see how the location changed over time.
Google Maps first launched its Street View service in 2007, and the Historical Street View feature will allow users to view any scan of a location from 2007 until now. The imagery will be labeled with a date that outlines the time of scan. This is not only helpful for satiating curiosity, but also for research and education, as people can learn quite a lot about how the world changed over the last 15 years.
Image Credit: Google
Google Announced the Historical Street View Feature for Mobile
1. Mobile Historical Street View - Google's Historical Street View feature is now available on mobile devices, allowing users to view scans of a location from 2007 until now on their smartphones and tablets.
2. Location-based Historical Research - The Historical Street View feature opens up new possibilities for research and education, providing access to historical imagery and allowing users to see how locations have changed over time.
3. Time-based Navigation - With the ability to view previous scans of a location, Google Maps users can navigate based on the current location as well as previous scans.
1. Travel - The Historical Street View feature adds a new dimension to travel, allowing tourists to view the history of popular destinations and landmarks.
2. Education - The Historical Street View feature can be used in educational settings to teach history, geography, and other related subjects.
3. Real Estate - Real estate agents can use the Historical Street View feature to show how a certain property or neighborhood has changed over time, which could be useful for potential buyers.