Many star chefs are now turning to burgers and fries to make their mark. So forget the foie gras and pass me the chilli sauce.
A few examples of this fast food / haute cuisine:
David Burke of New York's davidburke & donatella recently launched Burke in the Box at the flagship Bloomingdale's. A Kobe beef hot dog (US$14) complements fries topped with Asiago cheese and truffle oil (US$4.50). Diners are served on real china.
Spanish chef Ferran Adria of El Bulli opened a Madrid-based chain called Fast Good, featuring burgers made of veal and served with Manchego, Gorgonzola or Tetilla cheese on crusty Galician bread. A New York location is planned for later this year.
So screw McD's, I'm going to Bloomingdale's for a cheeseburger.
1. Gourmet Fast Food - Opportunity for upscale restaurants to incorporate high-quality ingredients and unique flavors into fast food concepts.
2. Celebrity Chef Collaborations - Chance for renowned chefs to leverage their expertise and reputation by offering signature dishes in popular fast food formats.
3. Upscale Fast Food Chains - Emerging market for fast food chains that focus on gourmet ingredients, elevated presentation, and a more sophisticated dining experience.
1. Restaurant Industry - Restaurants can capitalize on the growing demand for gourmet fast food and celebrity chef collaborations to attract a wider customer base.
2. Food Packaging Industry - Opportunity for food packaging companies to provide high-quality packaging solutions that enhance the upscale dining experience of gourmet fast food.
3. Hospitality Industry - Hotels and resorts can partner with celebrity chefs or open their own upscale fast food chains to provide a unique dining experience for their guests.