There are plenty of new advancements being made to wearable health monitors daily, but MIT is already envisioning the next generation of devices. Since there are many monitors that can be uncomfortable to wear for prolonged periods, MIT developed a sensor that can be swallowed.
Once ingested, the sensor is designed to read vital signs from within the gastrointestinal tract. By monitoring sound waves from the beating of a heart or the inhalation and exhalation of the lungs, the smart device is able to decode acoustics for health.
The idea for this ingestible device was inspired by the stethoscope, in the same way that doctors are able to listen to a patient's body and detect issues. As a technical staff member at the Lincoln Laboratory, Albert Swiston describes this sensor is just like "an extremely tiny stethoscope that you can swallow."
This Electronic Device by MIT Can Be Swallowed to Track Bodily Health
1. Ingestible Health Monitors - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Develop more advanced ingestible health monitors that can track and analyze a wider range of bodily health indicators.
2. Wearable Health Monitors - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Create wearable health monitors that are comfortable to wear for extended periods and offer advanced tracking capabilities beyond basic vital signs.
3. Acoustic Health Monitoring - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Explore the potential of using sound waves and acoustics for monitoring and diagnosing various health conditions, expanding beyond traditional methods.
1. Healthcare Technology - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Develop innovative healthcare technology solutions that incorporate ingestible and wearable health monitors for improved patient care and remote monitoring.
2. Medical Devices - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Enhance the field of medical devices by creating more advanced and non-invasive technologies for monitoring and diagnosing health conditions.
3. Wellness and Fitness - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Integrate ingestible and wearable health monitors into the wellness and fitness industry to provide individuals with real-time insights on their physical well-being and performance.