Always seeking to capture the imagination (and, of course, your shopping dollar) The Gap is no stranger to innovative advertising. Just in time for the holidays, their Merry Mix Carols, Tis the Season to Mix campaign, is a really cool idea.
The prime objective naturally, is to encourage their customers to mix and match their clothing items but by incorporating a clever twist, they have enlisted the help of celebs to perform remixes of Christmas classics, and if they don’t do it for you, you can even create your own versions at their website.
In addition to this promo, “Gap Movie Card promotion for filmgoers at 1,000 theaters owned by chains like AMC, Cinemark and Regal. The cards, to be given free to ticket buyers, will be good for 15 percent or 20 percent off merchandise at Gap stores," according to the NY Times.
Celebrities such as Jon Hamm of “Mad Men,” with his girlfriend, the actress Jennifer Westfeldt; cast members of “Saturday Night Live”; the Dixie Chicks and Sandra Bernhard present Deck the Halls; Flo Ride and Trey Songa team up for a hip-hop take on Jingle Bells; Jon Heder and Janelle Monae have a blast with Winter Wonderland. Jason Biggs, Freddy Rodriguez and Romany Malco bring a rendition of We Three Kings, showcasing their bell ringing skills, and Rainn Wilson and Selma Blair perform Baby It’s Cold Outside.
All good fun and entertaining.
The Gap 'Merry Mix Carols'
1. Innovative Advertisements - The Gap's Merry Mix Carols campaign demonstrates the potential for incorporating a clever twist into advertising to capture consumers' attention.
2. Celebrity Collaborations - The involvement of celebrities like Jon Hamm, Flo Ride, and Selma Blair in The Gap's Merry Mix Carols campaign highlights the trend of brands partnering with influencers to reach a wider audience.
3. Interactive Customer Engagement - The option for customers to create their own versions of Christmas classics at The Gap's website as part of the Merry Mix Carols campaign showcases the rise of interactive experiences to engage with consumers.
1. Retail Clothing - The Gap's Merry Mix Carols campaign offers disruptive innovation opportunities for the retail clothing industry to incorporate interactive and celebrity-driven advertisements.
2. Film Exhibition - The Gap's Movie Card promotion for filmgoers at theaters owned by chains like AMC, Cinemark, and Regal presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for the film exhibition industry to collaborate with brands and offer exclusive discounts.
3. Music Streaming - The use of remixes of Christmas classics and the involvement of popular celebrities in The Gap's Merry Mix Carols campaign indicates disruptive innovation opportunities for the music streaming industry to create unique holiday playlists and collaborations.