Advertising agency DDB has created a service for fake business cards to help keep you out of trouble this holiday season. The theory is that by assuming your alternate identity, you can feel more free to misbehave.
Implications - Consumers are feeling guilt when shopping more than ever because of the credit crunch that has effected many homes. This purchasing guilt can be paralyzing to the marketplace, but some businesses are using tactics to comfort their customers into believing that spending doesn't have to be negative. By allowing your consumers to justify (or hide) their purchases, you give them a reason to not only buy your products, but buy more than they normally would.
1. Justification Marketing - By allowing consumers to justify their purchases, businesses can encourage increased spending.
2. Purchasing Guilt - The credit crunch has caused consumers to feel guilty about shopping, creating an opportunity for businesses to address this guilt.
3. Identity Alteration - Creating alternate identities can provide a sense of freedom and encourage consumer misbehavior.
1. Advertising - Advertisers can utilize justification marketing techniques to address purchasing guilt and drive higher sales.
2. Retail - Retailers can offer services or products that help consumers hide or justify their purchases, boosting sales.
3. Psychology - Psychologists can study the impact of identity alteration on consumer behavior and its potential implications for marketing strategies.