If you can’t beat ‘em, don’t join ‘em, just create something bigger and badder, like the Epix Movie Service. Deciding against taking the high road, MGM, Lionsgate and Paramount has decided to pave their own.
Not being able to come to an agreement with Showtime in regards to cable movie distribution, they spawned the Epix Movie Service, which is actually pretty epic. According to Chris Dannen, “[U]nlike the regular premium channels, which take about a year to get out-of-theater movies, the studios’ new service, EPIX, will get popular movies quickly—and it’ll let you watch them on-demand anywhere from EPIXHD.com.”
Available to Verizon FiOS users in October, I cannot wait for the Epix Movie Service (or something like this) to reach Canada.
Epix Movie Service Gives You What You Want, When You Want
1. On-demand Blockbusters - There are disruptive innovation opportunities in developing new on-demand movie services as a way to bypass traditional cable distribution channels.
2. Premium Movie Services - There are opportunities for disruptive innovation in taking control over premium movie distribution by creating new movie services that offer popular movies quickly.
3. Studio-owned Services - Creating studio-owned movie services is a trend that presents disruptive opportunities in the movie distribution industry, especially when it comes to creating new channels for popular movies.
1. Movie Industry - The movie industry can benefit from exploring and adopting new distribution channels for popular movies, such as developing on-demand services like Epix Movie Service.
2. Cable TV Industry - The cable TV industry can develop disruptive innovation opportunities by exploring ways to collaborate with companies like Epix rather than fighting against them.
3. Technology Industry - The advent of new technologies is helping to create opportunities for the development of new and innovative premium movie services, which is set to have a significant impact on the movie and cable TV industries.