CBS has begun advertising their station and shows on eggs. More than 35 million eggs will be marked with their logo and phrases such as, â€œ CSI: Crack the Case on CBSâ€. The campaign will begin in September to promote the fall TV show line up. This will only be a portion of their advertising and is referred to as their â€œouternet strategyâ€, which involves reaching customers outside their homes while they go about their daily activities. ABC also tried this form to promote â€œDesperate Housewivesâ€ by using dry-cleaning bags. (GUSH Magazine)
The Washington Post noted, "CBS is enlisting eggs in its scramble to attract viewers. The CBS logo and slogans promoting the TV network and its series will appear along with coded expiration dates on eggs sold by grocers _ just another promotional measure in the competitive world of television."
CBS Markets New Shows on Eggs
1. Novelty Advertising - Using unconventional objects or mediums, such as eggs, for advertising purposes.
2. Out-of-home Marketing - Reaching customers outside their homes through creative advertising strategies, like CBS' 'outernet strategy'.
3. Competitive Promotion - Employing unique promotional measures, like marking eggs with logos and slogans, to stand out in the competitive television industry.
1. Television Broadcasting - Innovative advertising methods like eggvertising can disrupt traditional advertising models and attract viewers.
2. Food Retail - Grocers selling eggs with branded logos and slogans can offer a unique product differentiation that appeals to customers.
3. Marketing and Advertising - Creative out-of-the-box campaigns, such as eggvertising, provide opportunities for marketers to think outside the traditional advertising realm and generate buzz.