This drone painting system makes it possible to create large-scale murals. From the Italy-based international design company Carlo Ratti Associati, the Paint By Drone system is described as a portable method that can draw on any vertical blank space using drone formations to create crowdsourced public art in urban areas.
The system involves quadcopter drones equipped with sensors and spray paint for the purpose of "both participatory artistic expression and the visualization of urban data." The first two crowdsourced graffiti murals are planned for Turin, Italy and Berlin, Germany. Using an app, people can choose a section of the surface to paint with color or draw their own design.
This drone painting project is one approach to beautifying cities and shows how unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) can be used for public benefit.
This Drone Painting System is Being Used to Make Crowdsourced Urban Art
1. Drone Mural Painting - Using drones to create large-scale crowdsourced murals in urban areas presents an opportunity for innovative public art projects.
2. Participatory Urban Art - By enabling people to use an app to choose a section of a surface to paint with color or design their own mural, the Paint By Drone system opens up opportunities for interactive public art experiences.
3. Smart City Visualization - Combining drone-formed murals with urban data visualization could lead to new ways of experiencing and understanding urban environments.
1. Art - The Paint By Drone system offers a new approach to creating large-scale public art projects that are both innovative and inclusive.
2. Smart City - Using drones to create crowdsourced murals presents an opportunity to integrate smart city technology with public art in order to create more engaging urban environments.
3. UAV Technology - The use of sensors, spray paint and quadcopter drones presents opportunities for innovative UAV technology development in the field of public art and beyond.