Virgil Abloh looked to Édouard Manet, an impressionist artist, for design inspiration when working on the Off-White Resort 2019 collection of outerwear. Two pieces from the seasonal range are complete in the artist's painting in a perfect blend of fashion and art -- the 'Packable Hood Poncho' and the 'Panelled Parka' boast functional elements whilst still highlighting stylistic sensibilities.
The jackets are both constructed from lightweight nylon materials and are adorned in an all-over print of Manet's artwork from the 17th century. The paintings evoke a sense of romanticism, reference the era and bring a sense of softness to the apparel. The bold print is adorned with branding details infused through rubber patchwork stitched on the back and the arms.
Off-White's New Outerwear Pieces Channel Édouard Manet
1. Impressionist-inspired Fashion - Opportunity for fashion brands to incorporate Impressionist art into clothing designs.
2. Art-inspired Functional Clothing - Opportunity to blend art and function in clothing design.
3. Collaborative Art and Fashion Collections - Opportunity for artists and fashion brands to collaborate on collection designs.
1. Fashion - Fashion industry can leverage Impressionist art in new designs.
2. Art - Art industry can collaborate with fashion brands on art-inspired collections.
3. Retail - Retail industry can benefit from selling unique, art-inspired clothing items.