Ballerinas are increasing their presence in mainstream culture after Black Swan introduced audiences to the darker side of the dance form, but the Dane Shitagi Ballerina Project looks to return the iconic dancers back to their status as graceful beings.
Dane Shitagi, a New York-based photographer, says that the project was inspired, "from the idea of New York City as a magnet for creativity; each photograph is a collaborative work of dance, fashion design and photography played out against the city’s landscape." You can't deny that these Dane Shitagi Ballerina Project pictures are provocative. Not only are these subjects performing superhuman feats, but Shitagi also managed to clear the streets so that the ballerinas are virtually the only things in their respective environments. How he managed to clear a subway station in New York for a photo shoot is a work of art in itself.
Dane Shitagi's 'Ballerina Project' Brings Grace to the Streets
1. Mainstream Ballerinas - Opportunity to capitalize on the increased presence of ballerinas in mainstream culture.
2. Collaborative Art Projects - Opportunity to explore collaborative works of dance, fashion design, and photography.
3. Street-themed Pictorials - Opportunity to create visually stunning photographs by incorporating ballerinas in urban environments.
1. Entertainment - Opportunity for entertainment companies to develop content featuring ballerinas.
2. Fashion - Opportunity for fashion designers to collaborate with dancers to create unique and artistic pieces.
3. Photography - Opportunity for photographers to experiment with capturing ballerinas in unconventional settings.