“My obsession is cookbooks,” says acclaimed chef and author of the new cookbook Momofuku, David Chang. Momofuku is full of complicated, labor-intensive recipes to help recreate some of the delicious dishes Chang’s Momofuku restaurants are known for. Recipes that might have you cursing like the books author.
Chef and author of the new cookbook Momofuku, David Chang has received wide acclaim for his signature Ameri-Franco-Korean molecular gastronomy-esque cooking style. The 303-page book (priced at $40) comes out on Oct. 27 and aims to replicate Chef Chang’s natural voice, hence the swear words. For example, Readers are instructed not to “f— it up” and Chang reveals in the intro that, “It is no accident that Momofuku sounds like mother-f—.”
Chef David Chang Releases the F-Bomb Laden Momofuku
1. Profanity-infused Cookbooks - The use of profanity in cookbooks is a disruptive innovation opportunity for authors to add a unique touch to their cookbook and appeal to a new audience.
2. Authenticity in Cookbooks - Authors emphasizing their natural voice, like Chang, in cookbooks create an opportunity for readers to better connect with the author and gain truly authentic recipes.
3. Molecular Gastronomy Techniques - The inclusion of Chang's Ameri-Franco-Korean molecular gastronomy-esque cooking style in the cookbook presents a trend in the industry towards molecular gastronomy food and techniques.
1. Publishing - The trend towards profanity in cookbooks creates a disruptive innovation opportunity for publishers to explore unconventional author voices and better tap into the millennial market.
2. Culinary Arts - The cookbook industry trend towards molecular gastronomy-esque cooking styles presents an opportunity for culinary artists to further explore molecular gastronomy techniques and incorporate them into their dishes.
3. Hospitality - The emphasis in Chang's cookbook on replicating restaurant-quality dishes from the comfort of home presents an opportunity for the hospitality industry to sell cooking classes and other hospitality-related products that could help them grow their brand and reach a wider audience.