Primitives is a start-up that developed a bio-based compostable packaging design that's capable of responding to the environment and detecting safety issues. According to CEO Viirj Kan, "We’re incorporating sensing mechanisms into our materials that allow it to detect things like spoilage or even cold chain monitoring."
The innovation helps to address the fact that the labels often included on food packaging is only meant to provide a rough guideline on spoilage. With this waste-reducing design, the packaging itself becomes as dynamic as the food it contains. The design of this compostable packaging system by Primitives also helps to address the fact that thin-film plastic is notoriously difficult to recycle, as its many layers can't easily be separated from one another.
Image Credit: Primitives
Primitives' Compostable Packaging Design Shows When Food is Going Bad
1. Bio-based Compostable Packaging - Opportunity to create packaging materials that are environmentally-friendly, responsive, and capable of detecting safety issues.
2. Sensing Mechanisms in Packaging - Chance to incorporate technology into packaging materials to detect spoilage and monitor cold chain.
3. Waste-reducing Packaging Design - Potential to design packaging that reduces food waste and addresses challenges with recycling thin-film plastics.
1. Food Packaging - Innovate the food packaging industry by developing compostable materials with sensing mechanisms to improve food safety and reduce waste.
2. Plastic Recycling - Disrupt the plastic recycling industry by creating solutions to easily separate and recycle thin-film plastics.
3. Food Safety Monitoring - Opportunity to revolutionize food safety monitoring by integrating responsive packaging materials that can detect spoilage and monitor temperature.