Shoshana B. Roberts teamed up with Rob Bliss and Hollaback! to create this catcalling video, which captured the 108 instances of catcalling that Roberts experienced over the course of a single day. Ten hours, to be exact.
Roberts traveled through Manhattan outfitted with a hidden camera that documented each "damn, girl!" and "hey, sexy." Among these familiar phrases, there were two alarming incidents concerning strangers who walked alongside Roberts for lengthy periods of time, either trying to engage her in unwanted conversation or creepily staring at her.
Street harassment has become such a common, frequent occurrence for women that many have become accustomed, and worse, desensitized to it. Hollaback! wants to end this (begrudgingly) tolerated form of misogyny by raising awareness.
This Viral Catcalling Video Functions as a Street Harassment PSA
1. Combatting Street Harassment - The rise of viral catcalling PSAs and technologies that offer safety alerts can create a shift towards a world where women feel safe in public spaces.
2. Increasing Visibility of Gender-based Violence - There is an increased focus on making the realities of gender-based violence more visible through the proliferation of videos and social media campaigns.
3. Empowering Women Through Technology - Mobile apps that offer safety features, wearable technology that can send alerts, and other innovative solutions can help female travelers feel safer and more confident.
1. Technology - The development of wearable technology and mobile apps focused on safety alerts and providing women with tools to combat street harassment has become increasingly important.
2. Social Media - The proliferation of social media campaigns and videos that allow women to tell their stories of street harassment can bring greater awareness to the issue.
3. Security and Surveillance - The need for new security and surveillance technologies, such as cameras placed in public spaces, which can be used to capture instances of street harassment and hold aggressors accountable, is on the rise.