Ian Panganiban hit the jackpot the moment he discovered the existence of a beer-dispensing video game. A huge gamer himself, Panganiban is as familiar around a punching bag as he is a video game controller. When he's not hunting down trends like there's a bounty on their heads, he can be found enjoying comic books, martial arts and horror movies.
What's your favorite trend and why?
My favorite trend right now would have to be the beer-dispensing video games. You have these fighting-style games like Street Fighter with a few characters to pick from. Whoever wins the game wins a beer! I think that's cool, beer and arcades, it's a fun combo.
How do you define cool?
I define cool as something that keeps me up at night and makes me say, "I need to look at this for the next five hours because I have no life."
What's your secret to uncovering the best trends?
My secret to uncovering the best trends is to stick to stuff I like. Things like video games, Sci-Fi, comic book stuff, sometimes some quirky architectural designs or anything that's weird and makes me laugh.
What's your favorite thing about working at Trend Hunter?
My favorite thing about working at Trend Hunter is the awesome and really nice people that work here. Everyone's really supportive and really nice. They don't ignore you and they say hi when you come in through the door. They're just really cool people to work with.
What's your favorite accomplishment?
My favorite accomplishment is getting this really awesome internship at Trend Hunter. Not a lot of people get that chance, and I was ecstatic.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
When I was little I wanted to be a ninja. Maybe it's an Asian thing. When I was younger I'd fight with my younger siblings. We'd take turns being the bad guy. I would throw toy shurikens at them and play fight with fake katanas. Pretend to die. That sort of thing. Yeah, I wanted to be a ninja. (jumps into marital arts pose)
Is there anything you'd like to add about Trend Hunter?
I love Trend Hunter and that's cool. That's what my editor said. I believe her. (laughs)
Panganiban Discovers a Beer-Dispensing Video Game
1. Beer-dispensing Video Games - The gaming industry could collaborate with bars and breweries to create games that reward players with beer, attracting more customers to both industries.
2. Nerdy Trends - More industries could benefit by embracing niche interests like comic books and Sci-Fi, which have a fiercely loyal fan base.
3. Fun and Unique Combinations - By combining seemingly unrelated things, businesses can create unique and memorable experiences that will attract new customers.
1. Gaming - The gaming industry could collaborate with bars and breweries to create games that reward players with beer, attracting more customers to both industries.
2. Alcohol - By expanding beyond the traditional bar experience, breweries and other alcohol-focused businesses can attract new customers with unique experiences like beer-dispensing video games.
3. Entertainment - Industries like movie theaters and amusement parks could benefit from incorporating niche interests like comic books and Sci-Fi, which have a fiercely loyal fan base.