Who would have thought the Star Wars geek behind these galactic leggings was globally admired for his fashion savvy? That somebody is French designer Nicolas Ghesquiere of Balenciaga. Look closely at some of the leggings and you will see a remarkable resemblance to C-3PO from Star Wars, and even a storm trooper homage.
Others were inspired by Tron and The Terminator. All paragons of fashion in their day, I’m sure.
Implications - Consumers are looking for an element of glamour in their styles. Products featuring a glitzy aspect are appealing to those who want to feel like they are part of an elite status. Companies trying to increase their appeal could focus on this desire for exclusivity.
Balenciaga's Futuristic Fashion
1. Futuristic Fashion - Balenciaga's use of Star Wars inspired C-3PO leggings indicates a trend towards futuristic fashion.
2. Glitzy Products - The gold and shiny C-3PO leggings indicate a trend towards glitzy and glamorous products.
3. Pop Culture-inspired Designs - The Star Wars and Tron inspired leggings indicate a trend towards fashion designs inspired by popular culture.
1. Fashion - The Balenciaga C-3PO leggings are a disruptive innovation opportunity in the fashion industry for futuristic and pop culture-inspired designs.
2. Luxury Goods - The allure of glitzy products like the gold C-3PO leggings presents a disruptive innovation opportunity in the luxury goods industry.
3. Costume Design - The Star Wars and Tron-inspired leggings indicate a disruptive innovation opportunity in the costume design industry for pop culture-inspired designs.