Korean furniture and lighting designer Yangsoo Pyo has created a series of 'Afro' chairs. The ‘Afro’ chairs are made of notebook ‘2 ring springs attached to a steel frame. It employs the image of the unruly, curly afro hairstyle. The metal springs that are taken from 2 ring binders are used to visualize the tangled and puffed up texture of an afro. While the springs create a wonderful visual effect without proper treatment they may make the ‘Afro’ chair an uncomfortable seating option.
The chairs come in silver, black and blue versions. The blue stool-like ‘Afro’ chair was inspired by the hairstyle of the Simpsons character Marge Simpson.
Marge Simpson Influences Yangsoo Pyo's 'Afro' Chairs
1. Upcycling - Designers are creating innovative furniture pieces using upcycled materials.
2. Pop Culture-inspired Design - Designers are incorporating pop culture references into their furniture designs.
3. Unconventional Seating - Designers are creating seating options that challenge traditional forms and materials.
1. Furniture Design - Furniture designers can explore using unconventional materials to create distinctive seating options that will appeal to consumers looking for unique pieces for their homes.
2. Sustainable Design - Sustainability-focused designers can explore upcycling materials to create functional and fashionable home decor that reduces environmental waste.
3. Entertainment Merchandising - Entertainment companies can work with furniture designers to create themed pieces inspired by popular movies and TV shows to offer fans functional merchandise that speaks to their interests.