The Diamond Scrabble board is absolutely gorgeous, and is more likely to go up on a wall (behind a glass case) than on a table top for family game's night.
The Hasbro designed board, shown at the American International Toy Fair in New York, is so glittery the man showing it off had to wear sunglasses... or at least that's what it looks like from the photo.
The board features all of the ordinary section of a Scrabble board, including the special squares designated for extra word and letter points, only it is coated with close to 30,000 Austrian Swarovski crystals. In the centre is a red tile with a white heart, and the edges feature the "Diamond Scrabble" branding.
It was created to commemorate Scrabble's 60th anniversary. It will be auctioned off in the summer and is expected to bring in around $20,000, all of the proceeds of which will go to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.
1. $20,000 Game Board - Creating high-end, luxury versions of popular games presents an opportunity for niche markets seeking unique experiences.
2. Diamond Scrabble - Incorporating luxury materials, such as Swarovski crystals, into traditional board games offers a disruptive innovation in the luxury gaming industry.
3. Commemorative Collectibles - Producing limited edition, commemorative versions of popular games can attract collectors and create a new market for unique and exclusive items.
1. Toy Manufacturing - Toy manufacturers can explore collaborations with luxury brands to create high-end, limited edition versions of popular games.
2. Luxury Goods - The luxury goods industry can expand their product offerings by incorporating traditional games into their portfolio, appealing to affluent consumers looking for exclusive experiences.
3. Charity Fundraising - Charitable organizations can partner with game manufacturers to produce special edition games for fundraising purposes, attracting both collectors and philanthropists.